Congratulations on receiving an offer to join the NYC Teaching Collaborative program!
Now that you have officially accepted your offer, the next step is to start the fingerprinting process and receive your official DOE nomination email. To obtain an NYC DOE nomination, all Partner Teachers must complete their Common Profile using the NYC Department of Education's Application System for Alternative-Certified Candidates. This website is an online platform where your personal information will be made available to our enrollment team.
As a Partner Teacher, please keep in mind that you must complete your Common profile as soon as possible so that our team can begin the process of nominating you to begin the fingerprinting process. You must complete and pass the fingerprinting process in order to begin training with the program. Please note that we have provided specific instructions in this article to help you complete the Common Profile. Failure to follow instructions may delay your nomination process and could eventually lead to candidates being unable to begin training.
CREATING AN ACCOUNT:
The first step toward completing the Common Profile is to create an account by visiting the application website and selecting the “Register Now" button on the left side of the screen
You will be asked for your email address, a safe password, and your social security number to create and complete a profile. It is important to make sure your social security number is entered accurately. After your profile is complete, it is extremely hard to change your social security number. As your social security number is used to align your eventual certification with NYSED and to nominate you for the background check, an incorrect social security number can delay your job search and onboarding process.
Please note the following:
- Your email address will be your username. Please use the same email and password as your NYC Teaching Collaborative Admissions Portal Account. It is particularly important that you use the same email so that we can track your progress through NYCTC Admission Portal.
- If you have an existing Common Profile, please keep your login information as is and confirm that your personal information is correct.
- Please note that all communications and security clearance status updates are conducted via email and will be sent to the email address associated with your Common Profile.
- If you are currently a student, we recommend that you do NOT use the email address associated with your university, school, or workplace unless you will have access to it for at least a year from the date of your application submission.
- Be sure that your email account is configured to accept emails from the NYC DOE (allow domains @schools.nyc.gov and @nyc.teacherssupportnetwork.com) to ensure important messages do not end up in your spam or junk mail folder.
COMPLETING THE COMMON PROFILE:
The NYC Online Teacher Application is a multi-step process. After creating an account, applicants must complete their Common Profile. Below are the steps required to complete the Common Profile. The information entered can be used to apply for several different career paths with the NYC DOE.
**Please note: It is imperative that you include your full date of birth (MM/DD/YYYY) on the common profile section. Although the application states, “DOB is optional,” this does NOT apply to Partner Teachers, and your date of birth is required for your fingerprinting nomination. Without it, we will NOT be able to nominate you, and you will NOT be able to complete the fingerprinting process.
1. ACCOUNT INFORMATION AND WORK ELIGIBILITY
This step asks for basic contact information and a few questions regarding work eligibility. To be eligible to work for the NYC DOE, you must meet citizenship and/or residency requirements. You must complete all parts of the eligibility question. If you answered “Yes” to the work authorization status, you must also indicate your specific work authorization status. Please note that if you do not disclose your work authorization status, your application will not move forward.
If offered a position with the NYC DOE, you will need to provide documentation verifying your identity and employment authorization as part of the hiring process. See here for more information.
Teacher applicants must enter their education history for both high school and postsecondary education. Applicants holding advanced or multiple degrees must first enter undergraduate degree information before entering any additional advanced degrees.
3. EXPERIENCE AND REFERENCES
The work experience information entered in this section can be used to help inform the starting salary of teacher candidates after they are hired. For this reason, it is especially important that you accurately input your professional experience.
- Resume: You will need to upload a resume for the profile. Note that attachments cannot exceed 1 MB in size. We encourage you to upload your resume as a PDF to preserve your formatting. As you progress through the NYC Online Teacher Application and work on your job search in the spring, you can update your resume when you apply for specific positions. Please do not worry about updating your resume at this time. You can upload any version that you have.
Paid Experience, Student Teaching, and Volunteer Experience: Enter information about all paid experience, any student teaching experience, and/or Volunteer Experience.
- As an NYCTC Partner Teacher, you may keep this section as brief as possible and DO NOT need to include all your experiences.
- References: You need to enter at least one reference. References can be professional and/or personal. You can also update this later on when you are ready to apply for full-time teaching positions in the spring.
4. ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
Applicants will need to enter demographic information as well as their borough preferences. There will be opportunities later in the application where additional borough preferences can be shared.
5. DISCLAIMER AND RELEASE STATEMENT
Read through the Disclaimer and Release statement to acknowledge submission of information into the application system.
You should expect to receive your DOE nomination email and Fingerprinting instructions one to two weeks after completing your common profile.