Since Partner Teachers train to teach in the highest-need subject areas and schools in New York City, our subject area programs vary from year to year and are subject to change based on the needs of the NYCDOE. Rather than applying to a specific subject area, you will be asked to provide information about your subject area preferences in this section of the online application.
Partner Teachers in our 2024 Program will train to teach in one of the following critical-need subject areas:
- Bilingual Education in Spanish (Grades 1-6)
- Students with Disabilities - Bilingual Extension in Spanish (Grades 1-6)
- Students with Disabilities - Bilingual Extension in Spanish (Grades 7-12)
- English as a New Language (Grades K-12)
- Mathematics (Grades 7-12)
- Science: Biology (Grades 7-12)
- Science: Chemistry (Grades 7-12)
- Science: Earth Science (Grades 5-9)
- Science: Physics (Grades 7-12)
- Students with Disabilities-Generalist (Grades 1-6)
- Students with Disabilities-Generalist (Grades 7-12)
- Moderate/Severe Students with Disabilities Generalist Grades 1-6 in District 75
- Moderate/Severe Students with Disabilities Generalist Grades 7-12 in District 75
Please do not leave any subject area preference questions blank—indicate if each subject area is “Preferred” or “Not Preferred” or “Not Eligible.” If you know that you do not meet the academic requirements for a certain subject area, we ask that you correctly select “Not Eligible.” We will not be able to assign you to a subject area if you do not have the academic background required by the state of New York.
To review our subject area eligibility information, please review this article.
After submitting your application, you will not have another opportunity to edit or change your subject area preferences. We recommend that you think carefully about the subject area(s) that you would like to remain open to teaching before completing this section of the application.
Ultimately, we ask that you remain flexible regarding your subject area, since our mission as a program is to provide teachers to the students who need them most. If you are accepted to NYC Teaching Collaborative, you will participate in training that is specifically tailored to your subject area during your training to ensure you are ready for the classroom in your subject area.